The most vibrant and lucrative business sphere of recent years is the realm of start-ups. People who have involved themselves in app-based start-ups have minted money with their identification of these business opportunities. Along with the vast scope for development, these entrepreneurs also face myriad challenges. The most obvious and prominent of these have been listed below.
1) An overcrowded market: – App users are literally flooded with options. There are a multitude of apps available for seemingly mundane tasks. Start-up app developers have the unenviable task of competing for the user’s attention with already established apps.
- Developing apps that cater to the users’ very specific needs.
- Elucidating how using this app makes that specific task easier compared to other apps.
2) Lack of funding: – Start-ups require a large amount of money for app development and marketing, but they have less access to funds compared to already established companies. Several great ideas for apps often do not see the light of day due to a lack of funds.
- Pitching the idea of the app to investors and convincing them of its merits.
- App contests and crowd funding can also aid in generating funds.
3) Cross platform compatibility: – With new mobile phones and operating systems being launched every day, app developers have to ensure that their product is compatible with all platforms. Several factors such as screen resolution, OS requirements have to be taken into consideration during app design.
- Responsive designing.
- Extensive testing of the app across all known platforms and operating systems before the app is released.
4) Ensuring user friendliness: – Users will only accept a new app if it offers better services with increased ease of use when compared to established apps. Overcomplicating the app design will lead to initial negative reviews, and adversely affect app downloads and performance in the market.
- Designing your app along the lines of popular user interfaces such as Android or Apple OS which users are familiar with.
- Ensuring easy navigability inside the app.
5) Effective marketing of the app: – With increased competition, start-up apps are at a great disadvantage compared to established companies who have experience in developing and marketing apps. They face a great struggle to get noticed.
- Allotting adequate budget for an effective marketing campaign.
- Seeking the help of professionals with experience in marketing new apps.
- Using online platforms such as Appscend to increase app visibility.